Born in Chicago, Illinois, on April 15, 1939, James White and his family were received into the Catholic Church on Christmas Eve in 1949.
As a young man he worked briefly in a Chicago bank, taught in an elementary school, and was employed for two years by the
Catholic Church Extension Society, a missionary funding agency with headquarters in Chicago. As part of his duties, he developed for publication (several million copies annually) an appointment calendar which used contemporary photographs to illustrate passages from Scripture. He continued as editor of this project for several years, even after his priestly ordination and relocation to Oklahoma.
His ordination to the priesthood took place at St. Joseph's Church in Norman, Okla. on Feb. 21, 1969, at the hands of Bishop Victor J. Reed, of the Diocese of Oklahoma City and Tulsa.
Father White had a long interest in heraldry, and when an officer of the Extension Society was named bishop, he had the opportunity to design a coat of arms for him. This interest, never more than an extended hobby, ultimately resulted in more than 40 heraldic projects commissioned by bishops, abbots, dioceses and parishes. In this capacity he had the honor to design the coat of arms of the Diocese of Tulsa and Eastern Oklahoma (see article in the
July 20, EOCextra).
His first assignment as a priest was as associate pastor of Holy Family Cathedral in Tulsa (1969-72). As a new resident of the state, he became fascinated with Oklahoma history, especially the history of the Catholic Church in Oklahoma. He was encouraged in this by Bishop Reed, and he began the research that would eventually result in a dozen books and numerous articles and monographs. This interest was formalized in 1980, when he was named historian of the Diocese of Tulsa and Eastern Oklahoma.
In 1972 he received his first pastorate at Immaculate Conception Parish at Poteau.
On February 7, 1973, the Diocese of Tulsa was established as a separate and independent jurisdiction from that of Oklahoma City. Among the first actions of the new bishop, Bernard Ganter, was to create an office for the permanent diaconate, whose restoration in the Catholic Church had been authorized by the Second Vatican Council (1962-65). Fr. White volunteered to work on this project, and Bishop Ganter appointed him as the first director. Fr. White continued as director until 1982, and again from 1984 to 1988.
In 1978 a new parish was established south of 81st Street in Tulsa, and Fr. White was appointed as its founding pastor. Named for St. Bernard of Clairvaux (1090-1153), the new congregation moved its meeting place several times before settling on the property of the former St. John Vianney School for Girls in south Tulsa.
Reassigned in 1991, Fr. White spent a year editing the diaries of Most Rev. Theophile Meerschaert, the first bishop of Oklahoma (1891-1924), which he published in 1994. He also continued research for a study of the Church's relationship with the Osage Nation, published in 1997. In 1992 and 1993 he served as pastor of Sacred Heart Parish in Fairfax, on the former Osage reservation. He also served as master of ceremonies to Bishop Edward Slattery from 1994 to 1999. In 1998 he was given charge of Sacred Heart Parish in Skiatook.
At the age of 65, in 2004, Father White retired from the pastorate and was appointed archivist of the Diocese of Tulsa. This required that he design an archive building on the chancery campus and set up a computer-based infrastructure to aid in filing and locating documents.
After spending a few initial retirement years in California, he returned to Tulsa in 2018. In February of 2022, Father White celebrated his 50th anniversary of ordination to the priesthood. He died peacefully on Sunday, July 17, 2022, at the age of 83, and is buried in the priests' section of
Calvary Cemetery in Tulsa.